The Footbridge Holešovice – Karlín International Design Competition should bring an architectural and structural design proposal for a pedestrian bridge across the Vltava River. This bridge will connect the riverbanks of Karlín, Holešovice and the Štvanice Island. Up to this day the Prague districts Karlín and Holešovice suffer from the lack of good pedestrian and cycling connection.
The new footbridge should provide a convenient and simple connection between this two riverbanks.
The competition design should propose a citywide connection between this two districts with an access to the Štvanice Island.
The idea of building a footbridge in this places was a part of the Prague Land-Use Plan for a long time. In 1999 an architectural competition was held to define the appearance of the footbridge. However, after the floods in 2002, the flood protection measures were reinforced and the design was no longer actual. This change of technical and legislative requirements had made a request for of a new competition. The situation on both of the riverbanks and the Štvanice Island had deteriorated because of the missing connection.
The most important competition requirements in relation to the design should deal with the flood protection, water flow and water management, urban situation on both riverbanks and barrier-free access on the bridge.
We are pleased to invite all teams to enter the international design competition.
- Single stage
- 1st prize 1,000,000 CZK
- 2nd prize 600,000 CZK
- 3rd prize 350,000 CZK
- Honourable mentions: 50,000 CZK
- Competition launched: 10 April 2017
- Deadline for questions on the competition subject: 27. 6. 2017
- Deadline for answering the questions: 11. 7. 2017
- Deadline for questions on the organizational issues: 11. 7. 2017
- Deadline for submissions: 25. 7. 2017
Members of the Jury − independent
- prof. Ing. arch. Mirko Baum / Chairman, architect
- doc. Ing. arch. Radek Kolařík / architect
- Ing. Ondřej Hofmeister / civil engineer
- Ing. Ladislav Šašek, CSc. / expert in bridge structures
- Ing. arch. MgA. Barbora Šimonová / architect
- Ing. arch. Ivan Lejčar / architect
Members of the Jury − non-independent
- Ing. Karel Prajer / Director, Prague City Hall Department of Strategic Investment
- MgA. Marek Kopeć / Director, Projects and Competitions Office, Prague Institute of Planning and Development
- Petr Dolínek / Deputy Mayor of Prague for Transport, Sports and Leisure
- PhDr. Ing. arch. Lenka Burgerová, Ph.D. / Councillor for the Development of Architecture and Urbanism, Prague 7
- Roman Petrus / Mayor, Prague 8 District
Alternate jurors − independent
- Ing. arch. Vojtěch Sosna / architect
- Ing. Michal Marcinov / architect
Alternate jurors – non-independent
- Ing. arch. Zdeněk Ent / Prague Institute of Planning and Development, architect
- Mgr. Jan Čižinský / Mayor, Prague 7 District
Download the information related to this competition here.
TitleCall for Proposals: HOLEŠOVICE–KARLÍN FOOTBRIDGE
TypeCompetition Announcement (Built Projects & Masterplans)
OrganizersPrague Institute of Planning and Development
Submission Deadline25/07/2017 15:00
VenuePrague, Czech Republic